Friday, June 4, 2010

Why I Read the Bible

"Prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them - bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping." 2 Peter 1:21-2:3

There are so many people, TV people, public people, well respected people, "church" people who teach things that sound good. Maybe what they say even comes from Scripture...or it sounds like it should be Scripture. Satan quoted Scripture to Jesus when he tempted Him but Jesus knew what the words really meant. He understood the heart of His Father and could denounce the enemy with more Scripture. The Bible is not a defensive weapon but an offensive one..."the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

If I don't know what the Bible REALLY teaches, I may be drawn into a destructive belief pattern that could give me a false sense of hope, a false sense of salvation. It could make me view God from the wrong perspective. It could make me distrust the Church. It could be my downfall.

The Bible is the LIVING Word of God that gets better and better the more I read it. As I grow in my relationship with God, His word grows with me. That sounds weird because the words don't ever change, but I am able to see new things, understand new things which means my relationship with God grows and I see new things and understand new things and my relationship grows and the cycle continues.

So help me, Lord, to find time every day to read Your story. Speak to my heart as I read and give me ears to hear what You want me to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment