Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I was thinking about my daddy today. It's been 5 1/2 years since my daddy died and there are still times when I miss him a lot. At 91 years of age, I was blessed to have him around for a long time - and in good health until the day he died.

My daddy was a godly man who loved my mama and my brother and me. He also loved God and other people. He worked hard all his life to provide for our family. He baked cookies for the "girls" at his bank. He remembered birthdays - not just family but friends as well. He was generous with his money.

He taught me to look people in the eye, have a firm handshake, deal honestly with people, don't spend more than you earn, give at least a tithe (plus offerings) to the church. He loved me even when I was doing all sorts of stuff I should not have been doing, not just as a rebellious teenager but as a rebellious adult. More than once he got me out of a jam with sound advice or money or whatever the situation needed. He had my back!

Daddy was not a hugger or verbal with the "I love yous" but I always knew that he did love me. I look forward to the day when I will be with him - and Mama and David - in heaven to worship Jesus together for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment