Friday, June 25, 2010

Doorkeeper

I listened to and sang the song "Better is one day in Your courts, better is one day in Your house, better is one day in Your courts than thousands elsewhere" until I thought if I hear that song again I'll scream. That used to be a huge youth group song.

So when I read it this morning in Psalm 84 it immediately brought that song to mind. I thought I know it's scripture but I really do hope I don't have to hear it ever again. I like the rest of verse 10 that says I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.

To me being a doorkeeper is a sign of servanthood, of surrender. The doorkeeper is not the big shot or the rich and famous or the CEO but rather one who is willing to just be there to open doors, to make entrance a little easier. Most times people don't even know or notice the doorkeeper - unless he is absent.

Dwelling in the tents of the wicked can certainly be fun and sometimes profitable, being a doorkeeper doesn't bring much excitement and not much reward in the eyes of the public. But serving people, especially in the house of God, has rewards that are so much greater than anything the world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment