Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter

I love the Easter season. A lot of people think that Christmas is the main holiday for the Church...Jesus being born in a manger. And it is important. It is the fulfillment of a ton of prophecy and lots of years of expectation.

But the only reason Jesus left His home in Heaven to be born to a virgin Jewish teenager was to die on a Roman cross so that He could pay the penalty for my sins. That just blows me away. Jesus, part of the Trinity of the God-head, son of the Living God, gave up His position, His "rights", His home in Heaven to come to earth as a man. He faced all that we face - hunger, thirst, abandonment, loneliness, tiredness, frustration, anger, temptation, joy, peace - anything, everything human existence affords.

The greatest thing He did was take on the sins of the world, bear those sins into death and the pit of Hell and then, 3 days later, rise from the dead, victorious over sin and death. And He did this for me!! So all my sins can be forgiven and I can be reconciled to a holy God; so I can have the Holy Spirit to fill me with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control; so I can spend all eternity with Him in Heaven when this body finally dies.

Easter - without it there is no hope, no forgiveness, no salvation, no forever in the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment