Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kenya Is Soon

It's just 7 weeks until I leave for Kenya with the mission team from NewSpring. Not too much to do but pack but I did have to get immunizations. To get 5 shots at one time is NOT fun!! My arm is a little sore from the DTP shot but tetanus always does that to me. I may have a low grade fever in about a week from the yellow fever immunization because it is a live virus. And I still have to get my malaria medication.

I've bought my gallon size zip lock bags and travel size toothpaste, lotion, antibacterial wipes and some protein bars to try. I've never eaten protein bars but it is highly recommended that we carry some since we can't eat a lot of the food out in the field. Gotta find out if snacks go in carry on luggage or need to be packed.

I'm already thinking about which clothes I will take. No jeans are allowed for anyone and women have to wear skirts except for free time. Everything has to be loose fitting and modest. I'll probably take mostly short sleeve t-shirts for tops. It will be the start of their winter so it will be chilly at night. Nairobi is at 5000 ft above sea level. We will be 3 - 4 hours north near Mt Kenya which is 17,000 ft. high.

We will stay in a small hotel with toilets and showers - but usually no hot water and no toilet paper. Out in the villages we will have pit latrines...stand/squat over a hole and go! The latrines are enclosed, that's a plus. Hopefully we won't contract traveler's diarrhea. Hmmm...better buy something for that.

It will be an adventure!! But it's one I am REALLY looking forward to. Gotta be prayed up about it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment