Thursday, April 16, 2009

God Looks at the Heart

Pete Wilson had an interesting item on his blog today about the British TV show Britain's Got Talent. The video and accompanying story made me cry but it also made me glad that I am part of a church that doesn't select people based on looks or position or money - as staff or as volunteers.

If they did, I certainly would not qualify for a position because I am not "pretty" on the outside. (Used to be...and it got me in a lot of trouble over the years.) NewSpring encourages EVERY member to become involved in ministry as a volunteer in the church. God makes us all sorts of heights and shapes and colors and dispositions. But the Bible tells us we all have a gift to use to bring glory to His name. The Bible also tells us God looks on the heart and that the outward appearance can be deceiving.

Now my question for heart searching is do I look down on those who are not as nice or smart or clean as me? It doesn't matter whether it is Simon Cowell smirking at the middle aged lady or me turning up my nose at a homeless person or a drunk. The result is the same. I have somehow judged the person as unworthy. Maybe that person crossed my path just so I could speak the name of Jesus to him or her.

God, forgive my arrogance and pride - conditions that keep me from loving people as You do!

No comments:

Post a Comment