Saturday, April 18, 2009

I Love Nathan

The grandkids were here this weekend and I have to say I love my grandson!! Biologically, we are not related. His mom, my son's wife, was married before and Nathan is Holly and Matt's child. But...Jeremy and Holly have been together since Nate was 3 and he is about to turn 10 so he's been "ours" for a long time.

Nathan is just the coolest kid. I'm not sure "cool" is the correct word to use today but that is what Nate is in my mind. He's an intelligent, kind-hearted, honest, all boy kind of kid. He's loud and raucous and into skateboarding. He has several close guy friends that he shares life with at school and at play.

Nate thinks I'm a the "best" grandma 'cause I let him do all the stupid, 10 year old boy stuff, like yelling lasagna out the car window at guys riding bicycles. I don't make him take showers or sleep in pajamas (it's just one night a week). I'll watch YouTube with him and help him learn the skateboarding tricks he sees. I don't buy him stuff accept for special occasions but he cuts my grass for money and if he wants to go spend it he can. He listens to the things I say about saving and tithing but doesn't have a "got to" at home for those things.

Nathan asked Jesus into his heart a few years ago. He loves Jesus and does know what is right and good and what is bad.

One skateboarding show he showed me a couple of months ago on Hulu featured this awesome skateboarder - Nate's description - named Bam. Nathan had seen the video on TV but when he found it on Hulu it was full of awful language. He told me he didn't like that. As I watched the video I told Nathan that Bam was a spoiled brat and I didn't like his attitudes or actions or his nasty mouth at all. This weekend, Nathan told me Bam is not his favorite any more. Seems he had an opportunity to actually see Bam in person at a skate park. Nathan's comment - he's a punk. From Nathan that is not good. Bam was obnoxious and rude and Nathan has no use for him anymore. Good decision, Nate!!

I can't wait to see how he takes on the world as he grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment