Monday, January 18, 2010

Equal Sacrifice

I've been thinking about the $16k NewSpring raised on Sunday for Samaritan's Purse to use to help Haiti and thought about Perry's message on giving. That is a huge amount for a one day offering on a holiday weekend. But when I think about the 11,000 in attendance it really isn't much...especially since Perry told us only 10% of the MEMBERSHIP (not attenders) tithe.

I do understand that we just took a Christmas offering of $600,000 a few weeks ago. For many to give anything may be tough in this economy. Many are without jobs or are stretched to the breaking point. It's time to pay property taxes and Christmas bills are coming in. And I do think that $16,000 is a great offering!

But I have a friend who pastors a small church in White Castle, LA (pop about 1900), He had 30 people at church on Sunday and their offering for Haiti was $1300. I don't really know anything about the congregation. They may all be millionaires living in the "suburbs" of Baton Rouge. And my intention is not to play a comparison game.

It just made me think about giving God's way. Sometimes that is until it hurts. It made me reflect on my own giving. What do I spend unnecessary money on that could be given to God's work? And then I read Pete Wilson's blog for today. God speaks and I really want to listen

No comments:

Post a Comment