Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Amos

When I read  the prophets and their words from God, I get tired of hearing of all the disaster God is going to bring. But God's judgment is real and there will come a time when I will stand before the throne of Almighty God and His son Jesus and the books of my life will be opened and read. Will I hear well done?

But in the days of Amos, God goes down the list of those that will face his judgment. God names a people or city and says "because they...so I will..." He lists several who have handed people over to Edom, Edom because they took the people and Moab for killing the king of Edom. Edom is under judgment but so is the guy who attacks Edom.

One of the things I notice through out the prophets is that God is very specific about the judgment that will come and why it will come. God is not random in His actions. I have heard people say a loving God would not send "good" people to hell. But God has been very specific - My Son is the only way to Me so if you don't accept Him, I will not accept you. John 14:6, 2 Timothy 2:12

It's very tragic to think that there are people who have no concept of an eternity without God. As evil and perverse as our world is, the Holy Spirit is at work holding back and counteracting so much of the evil. An eternity spent pursuing the emptiness of the lusts of the eyes and the flesh would be bad enough but add in Jesus' description of the lake of fire and darkness and it becomes horrible.

Help me, Lord, to share this truth with those I love, to help people on their journey to know You.

No comments:

Post a Comment