Monday, September 7, 2009

Follow Your Heart

Brad Cooper preached yesterday at NewSpring. I went to the Anderson campus because I was out of town during the morning. It was about time for a road trip to Anderson anyway. I love the Greenville campus and my friends there but there is something really special about occasionally going to the Anderson campus. But I digress...

Brad preached a great message on lie #3 in the series Five Lies of the Devil. This lie is "Just Follow Your Heart." Brad read Jeremiah 17:9 - The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it?

The enemy tells me to "follow my heart" but God tells me my heart will deceive me. The only way to be sure my heart does NOT deceive me is to allow God to own my heart. If my heart belongs to Jesus, if I am seeking Him, He will transform me to have a heart like His...a heart that allowed Stephen, as he was being stoned to death, to cry out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." Acts 7:60

The prayer Brad mentioned that I personally need to pray more often is break my heart, Lord, for what breaks Yours. I want to be concerned about my family, neighbors, co-workers, friends and acquaintances who are far from God. But am I? No, the cares of this world, my own needs and selfishness get in the way many times of God using me to make a difference in people's lives. The thing for me to do is to implore God to give me His eyes, His ears, His love for a lost world. I need to be constantly in tune with what God is doing around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment