Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Inquire of a Piece of Wood

Hosea 4:12 "My people inquire of a piece of wood..."

One of the issues that confronts me is idols. In this verse God seems to actually be making fun of His people. Who would inquire of a piece of wood? The next part of the verse says, "and their walking staff gives them oracles".

I read that and realize that I don't go to a piece of wood as in an actual idol - a wooden figurine - and expect it to solve my problems or make me feel good about myself or heal my diseases. But what about TV? I actually don't watch TV but their are so many people who put their trust in Oprah or Dr. Phil. Or they spend so much time watching American Idol or Big Brother or Home and Garden or the History Channel or ESPN that they can't find time to read God's word.

I'm not talking about people who don't know Jesus, but people who claim to be Christ followers.

What about earning money or staying in shape, exercise - those can become idols too.  For me it's books. I love to read. Sometimes I will spend hours reading a novel and never pick up the Bible or find time to pray. Although I may not be looking for "salvation" in those books, if it takes away from my time with God; if it becomes more important to me than my relationship with God it has become an idol, a piece of wood in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment