Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Final Thoughts on Daniel

Several things in the book of Daniel really speak to me every time I read them. Daniel's prayer in chapter 9 comes after he studies the words of Jeremiah the prophet and finds out how long the captivity will last. Verse 3 says, "Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking Him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting and sackcloth and ashes."

Do I seek God with that kind of fervency when I want to hear from Him? Or do I pray half-hearted prayers and then wonder why they seem to bounce off the ceilings?

Another thing about Daniel's prayer is his confession of sin. This is the guy who refused the king's food rather than defile himself; who faced the lions rather than give up worshiping his God; who was given wisdom by God to interpret dreams. Yet he recognized that he was just as sinful as all those who had actually done all the things he didn't do.

Reminds me of what Brad said Sunday...sin is not something I do, it is what I am. I am desperately sin sick. Daniel recognized that even when he lived in a time of "good works" religion. I have recognized it in myself and have confessed my sins and asked Jesus to cleanse me of all my unrighteousness...and He did! Its not about anything I can do, but all about what Jesus did on the cross.

Daniel even recognized this when he ended his prayer in verses 18-19 with "For we do not present our pleas before You because of our righteousness, but because of Your great mercy. O Lord, hear, O Lord, forgive, O Lord, pay attention and act. Delay not for Your own sake, O my God because Your city and Your people are called by Your name."

No comments:

Post a Comment