Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Nothing Ever Changes

One of the things reading the Bible shows me is that people never change. From the time of Adam, we have wanted to be our own king, our own god. We want to control our lives. But everything I read in the Bible shows that leads to disaster.

We really don't learn our lessons - even if we are taught with the hard teaching of painful experiences. I'm not talking necessarily about individuals but about people in general. Over and over again in the Bible, the prophets told the people of impending disaster. It always came to pass and the people repented for a time but them went right back to their evil ways.

After 9/11 and Katrina and other catastrophic events the churches are often filled with people because they are afraid. But give it a little time and many will drop out and go back to their "usual" lives.

The most important thing that never changes, though, is God. He never leaves me or forsakes me. He always loves me and cares for me. Zephaniah 3:17 reminds me of God's care. I really like this passage - makes me want to shout for joy.
17 The LORD your God is with you,
       he is mighty to save.
       He will take great delight in you,
       he will quiet you with his love,
       he will rejoice over you with singing."

No comments:

Post a Comment