Wednesday, September 9, 2009

God Doesn't Mince Words

In reading through the prophets I see over and over again that God doesn't mince words when He confronts the people of Israel and Judah with their sin.

In the book of Hosea, he goes so far as to tell Hosea to marry a prostitute because Israel has been playing the whore with Him, whoring after other gods and looking to kings for their salvation. I think sometimes we want a pretty, pacifist, calm God who would never show any wrath or punish us for any wrong; not a loving father who disciplines but a doting grandfather who overlooks.

But God is a Father who disciplines, who calls it like it is. We often pussyfoot around issues and are afraid not to be "nice" with people. I don't mean I think we ought to shake our finger in someone's face and tell them they are going to burn in Hell but I do mean that sin needs to be confronted with lots of love but also lots of directness.

No comments:

Post a Comment