Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Rend Your Hearts

In Joel 2:12-13 God is telling the people of Judah and Israel to return to Him in repentance and He will relent from bringing disaster on the people.

The people would often tear their clothes in anger or dismay over wrongs but God did not want this outward appearance of repentance. He wanted their hearts. "Return to Me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning, and rend your hearts not your garments."

God is always after my heart. Who ever or what ever controls my heart is what I worship. God wants it to be Him and Him only. I should want it to be Him only because He is the only one who can satisfy all the deepest longings of my heart and because "He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." In verse 32 God tells us "And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." That a WooHoo if I ever heard one.

There have been times in my life when I have worshiped people or my stuff or my reputation or my ambition but that never works. It always ends with a feeling of emptiness, an is this all there is feeling. Only God can sustain me and fill all the needs of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment