Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Belteshazzar

Belteshazzer is better known to most people as Daniel. I like reading about him because he was held in captivity for so long under 3 kings in Babylon and yet never abandoned God nor compromised his beliefs. There is so much to learn about God and His faithfulness in trying situations.

Daniel was one of the young men (probably a teenager) taken to Babylon by King Nebuchadnezzar. As near as I can tell, he was there for most, if not all, of the 70 years of captivity. Daniel was threatened with death on more than one occasion but even in the face of death, he would not let go of what he knew God expected of him. When he was praised for his ability to interpret dreams, he gave all the glory to God.

He didn't say "woe is me". He didn't rail against his captors - he actually did so well that he became one of the great leaders of the country. He showed respect for those in authority. That respect did NOT cause him to break God's law by worshiping the idols that were erected by the king.

God was faithful to Daniel and his friends. God gave them wisdom, protection, confidence and peace. He walked with them through the fiery furnace and the lion's den. They EXPECTED God to be there, to take care of them and He did.

There have been times in my life when I didn't expect God to show up or I wanted Him to show up in a different way. As I've grown older and had more experience with God, I too am confident that whatever comes my way, God will show up. Now it doesn't matter HOW He shows up or even what the outcome is. I want to be like those men who faced the fire and say, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." Daniel 3:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment