Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Financial Upheavel

Yesterday, I fired my financial advisor. Several times in the many months that my investments lost traction and lots of money, I went to my advisor for input and to talk about what I wanted to do. Basically I was told that he knew best and leave it to him. I certainly don't know enough about stocks and bonds and mutual funds to want to go to a "do it yourself" trading position but I did know some things I wanted but didn't get.

So yesterday I found a new guy who is with Edward Jones and for the first time in almost a year have renewed confidence in the guy handling my money. And I am sure this is a God thing. Last December I was sure I should pull a considerable portion out of the market and, at least temporarily, increase my cash position. My old advisor didn't agree and I lost more money. As a 60 year old grandma, it made sense to me to limit my exposure to the market for a while.

This time around - although it is really late in the game and the market rally was starting - I heeded the call to pull my money out. I really didn't have a clue what I was going to do with it but I did find a 12 month CD at a local bank paying 3.5% so my plan was to drop it in there. This was on Monday.

Now, back up to last fall and the Financial Learning Experience at NewSpring Church taught by our financial pastor Joe Sangle. He mentioned investing with Edward Jones and how much he likes them cause they are all over the country. Since he travels a lot this is convenient for him. At the time I thought - I know someone at Edward Jones - but couldn't remember his name. I hadn't thought about it again.

Fast forward now to yesterday, Tuesday, morning. I wake up and I know the Edward Jones guy's name, Thomas McCarver. We used to go to church together and both served on the media team but I had not seen him in 2 years or so, and have not been in that church for almost a year. So, who put his name in my head overnight? God! Ya reckon??

I called Thomas on Tuesday morning got an appointment and spent 3 hours talking about my goals and the best way to achieve them. I actually now have an advisor who seems to care about my comfort level and my security and my financial future. Thank you, God, for being EVER faithful if I will just do what you say; if I will follow those inclinations you put in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment