Wednesday, March 18, 2009

If...then

I'm continuing to read in 2 Chronicles. There are so many "if...then" statements in chapters 6 & 7 from both Solomon in his prayer and from God in his response to Solomon. Solomon's if then's are predominately about IF the people sin or forsake God in some way but realize it and pray for forgiveness, THEN God, please listen to their plea and forgive and heal.

God's response includes a frequently quoted verses, 2 Chronicles 7:14. Walking close to God requires commitment to His ways. I can not expect God to do for me if I am not willing to give Him my all. That's not to negate the fact that God can do anything He wants. He used pagan kings to accomplish His purpose. Some of the kings of Israel and Judah did evil in God's sight but He allowed them to rule for many years. He took many of the most unlikely men and women, murderers, liars, prostitutes, thieves and adulterers, and used them to accomplish His purpose and to bring glory to His name.

But...IF we confess our sins, THEN He is faithful to forgive us. IF I am willing to lose my life for Jesus, THEN I will save it. The paradox of following Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment