Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Malaria Capers

Donald, in my home group, gave me a book called The Malaria Capers. This was written almost 20 years ago by a scientist/researcher named Robert Desowitz who was involved in Africa and Asia in the study of malaria, kala azar and other diseases caused by parasites.

To be a "technical" writing, it is an interesting and easy read. The story traces the history of the pursuit of the source and transmission of malaria. Donald gave it to me because I have spoken several times of my desire to go to Kenya with our church as part of a missions team. I'm not sure if he was trying to give me knowledge, scare me, dissuade me or what but reading this has heightened my desire to go.

So much of the world lives in such abject poverty with unclean water and unsanitary homes and villages because of a lack of proper sewage. The life span in many third world countries is 50...if you make it past childhood.

Most of this story takes place in India or nearby regions, rather than Africa where I hope to go, but it just breaks my heart to read of the suffering and hopelessness that pervades the life of so many. I don't know how I can help or what I can do but I think I can do SOMETHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment