Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The World's View of America

Mass shootings have become a feature of life in the United States.

Guns are widely available for purchase in the United States, a country that prides itself on the right to own weapons for self defense and hunting. (Writing by Matthew Bigg; editing by Tom Brown)

This was a quote from a Reuters news story about a shooting spree in Alabama that left 10 dead. They also mentioned the "Santa Claus" Christmas Eve shooting in California and the Virginia Tech shooting a couple of years ago. I can remember more such as Columbine High School in Colorado. There were several other school shootings right after that.

Rather than saying something about our pride in owning guns (which I don't), I think it says more about our view of the value of life and our value of ourselves. Why would someone note a day of death on his calendar and then walk into a church and kill the pastor at FBC in Maryville IL? What fills people with so much anger? Or maybe it is so much hopelessness because the shooter often takes his own life - or attempts to - after the killing spree.

The answer is not necessarily gun control or more laws but a heart change. An understanding that I am special because I am uniquely created by the living God. It's not my stuff or my job or my friends or my clothes or music or where I live or how much money I make...none of that gives me true worth or value because all that is fleeting (i.e. stock market, housing foreclosures). Only a personal relationship with the Almighty God who is King of kings and Lord of lords will give me real worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment