Thursday, August 27, 2009

Authority

Authority.

Sometimes I like authority...when crowds or traffic are controlled in an orderly manner. When the boss praises my completion of a project. When I am the authority.

Sometimes I DON'T like authority...when the blue lights go off in my rear view mirror. When I am reprimanded for something (doesn't matter if it's justified). When the rules are hard or unfair.

At one time I did a lot to buck authority, especially as a teenager and young adult in the 60's and 70's. But I find as I get older that I appreciate authority more and more. Even if I don't agree with the authority I RESPECT the authority of the President or the IRS.

Jesus had some things to say about authority. Concerning His life/death He said,"No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again." John 10:18

In the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18) Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."

The people listening to Him teach said,"What is this? A new teaching - and with authority!" Mark 1:27

Jesus is the one authority I need to REALLY take seriously - not just respect but to listen to and to obey. He is the absolute authority; the voice that spoke the world into existence; the one who conquered sin and death.

"Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, he who accuses them before our God day and night." Revelation 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment