Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sad Commentary

As I was reading in John today, I read something that made me sad. In John 12:42-43 we are told "Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in Him. But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue, for they loved praise from men more than praise from God."

When I read that I wonder how could you not confess your faith when you were right there with Jesus, seeing and even participating in the miracles, hearing His teaching. Fear of the religious leaders, fear of their wrath, fear of the consequences. Of course the synagogue was central to all they did and it was the only church. They needed the priests and the ability to sacrifice for their sins. They needed a place to pray. They needed a place to meet God. Excuses, excuses!

In churches all over America every Sunday there are people who will not take a public stance for Jesus. Their heart may be pounding out of their chest and they KNOW that Jesus is tugging on their heart but they think about what people around them may think if they stand up or walk to the front. They are afraid to confess their faith in Jesus because they fear men more than God.

And I can't say anything about them - either the people in Jesus day or today - because I have had times in my own life when I have feared men (or women) and what they might think of me if I spoke up about Jesus; if I took a stand against risque jokes or really foul language; if I told someone you just need to give your life to Jesus. What excuses do I make to justify MY failure to publicly confess Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment