Monday, August 17, 2009

Back to School

Saturday I took Nate to buy school supplies. Stuff was really pretty inexpensive. He already has a book bag so we just had to get notebooks, paper, pens, pencils...all the utility stuff that 5th graders have to have.

And now tomorrow is the big day. Nate is really excited about getting back into school. He gets pretty bored sometimes over the summer. He really is a sharp kid who does well in school. Teachers mostly like him although he can be a challenge to keep focused sometimes.

One of the things we talked about was foreign language. He currently studies French but I wanted to know if he thought he might change. He will have the opportunity in 6th grade to switch to Spanish. He said he really wants to do that because he doesn't know anyone who speaks French but does know people (like at McDonald's :o) who speak Spanish. He already understands that it will probably be a much more useful language for him.

Bella doesn't start school until next Monday. She is really looking forward to school also. I just hope her excitement lasts beyond day 1. She has never been in a structured situation before so I don't know how well she will do. She is certainly smart enough to do well if she can tame some of her impulse to tell everyone what they are doing wrong.

I want both of my grandchildren to be successful in school and in all of life. I want them to use the gifts and talents they have to expand their world now and in the future. It is fun watching them grow and change and learn. It's especially nice to be able to send them home when I get tired!!

I thank God for them and hope that the words of wisdom and love and Jesus that I speak to them will bear fruit in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment