Monday, August 10, 2009

God of Mercy

I've heard people say they just couldn't believe in a God who claims to be good and loving but sends people to Hell. The thing is, people send themselves to Hell because they reject the Holy Spirit and His drawing and His conviction. People - me, us - want to do what makes us happy without focusing on God or what He wants.

It's strange that a parent will tell a child "No", not just arbitrarily but because the parent has been there and knows that the choice is not a good one, and yet will not accept the "No" from God the Father. That's been true in my own life. I KNOW that something is going to bring me pain in some form but I am so dead set on "fun" or having my way that I will think it won't be too bad. But then, of course, it is. For me as a Christ follower, the biggest pain comes from knowing that I have created a rift in my relationship with my Father.

But to get back to what started this, in Ezekiel 18:23 & 32 God says twice He takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. He would much rather the wicked turn from their sins and live! The fact that I DON'T die because of my sins, that I am NOT going to Hell, is only the result of God's mercy and grace; because I did turn away from my sins and turn toward God.

No comments:

Post a Comment