Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Victory

As I've been thinking about Perry's message last Sunday, one of the verses that comes to mind is from Jesus in John 16:33 - I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. (NIV)

I believe a lot of the reason we worry so much and don't have victory over all the issues of life, why a crises can come and devastate us is because we don't really believe Jesus has overcome the world. We expect our "victory" to come when we get to Heaven but then we fight, and even fear, death which is what is necessary for us to get to Heaven. Won't go while I'm still alive!

What we really need to take hold of is that we have victory over all our troubles right here, right now if I have committed my life to Christ. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Those are the things I need to deal with just about anything from the death of a loved one to a financial crises to marriage gone bad to disrespect in the work place to loneliness to illness.

If I want to have victory in this life, I have to REALLY believe what Jesus says. He says He has overcome, so I have overcome; He will provide so I shouldn't worry about any of it. Jesus was betrayed by one of His inner circle. He was lied about, His motives were questioned. Everything I could possible face, Jesus faced in His 33 short years on earth. He KNOWS what I go through - physically and emotionally when times are tough. He can help because He sent the Comforter, the Holy Spirit to be with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment