Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Learn Out Loud

I read Steven Furtick's blog today titled "Please be patient with us". He talks about not having all the answers and sometimes getting it wrong but I really liked this at the end:

Be patient with me. I’m not preaching, teaching, blogging and tweeting because I think I’ve got it figured out. But I figure our church owes it to you to figure it out in front of you. To learn out loud.

I really like the phrase "to learn out loud". One of the things I like so much about NewSpring and Pastor P, is how open he is to sharing his struggles, his triumphs, his fears, his confidence. Because I read his blog and follow him on Twitter, I know more about him than I do a lot of people. Even though I have never met him and he preaches from Anderson and I am in Greenville, I feel such a part of the vision he has for NewSpring.

When I was on staff at FBC, I was amazed at how "closed" each ministry was from the other. People could change positions or even leave their job all together and you usually found out when your email was returned. And when it came to ministry stuff about the church, it was almost an us and them attitude. Don't let them know what we're planning. Them being the guys in the pews - unless you were a deacon. Sometimes them was anyone not a minister.

So I really like the "learn out loud" because we are all in this together! There are lots of decisions that are not made publicly, and rightly so, but there is also lots of vulnerability. They (the ministry teams) are not perfect but they are seeking God with all their heart. That helps me take ownership of the ministry, the vision. It also helps me to see myself as equal to the leadership in that I can seek God with all my heart and expect Him to use me to further His kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment