Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Day

I remember hearing Dr. King when I was in high school back in the 60's. He was assassinated in 1968. I have to admit that I do not really remember much of what he said. I do remember that I thought he was a great man and I admired him for the peaceful stand he took when America was reeling with violence everywhere.

I have seen 3 quotes from Dr. King today posted on twitter and I think they are worth remembering:

"It's not whether we will be extremists but what kind of extremist we will be... The world is in dire need of creative extremists."

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

Of course there are lots more things he said that changed a generation and all sorts of quotes are available online. These particular quotes made me think of my relationship with Jesus and His church.

I kinda think of NewSpring as creative extremists of church world. And that is a good thing! Just heard today that in the 11 years since NewSpring was started, 12,182 people have walked from death to life by surrendering to Jesus.

Hate...too many Christians concentrate too much on what they are against rather than loving people enough to introduce them to Jesus.

What will I die for? My family - my son, my daughter-in-law, my grandchildren. I would say yes, I would. If they were in harm's way, I would prefer to die if it would spare them. But what about Jesus? Would I be willing to die if necessary to advance the gospel? Would I still speak the name of Jesus if it meant my death? Again, I would say, yes, I would. Death only means seeing Jesus!

Paul said, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes..." Romans 1:16.

No comments:

Post a Comment