Friday, January 7, 2011

They Supposed

I wonder how many times arguments in families or businesses or churches occur because someone supposed a person had done or said something. How many times could the disagreement be averted if people just talked?

When Paul was arrested in the temple in Jerusalem, he was purifying himself according to the Jewish custom and was with other Jews. But the men who were opposed to Paul had seen him earlier with a man from Ephesus and supposed Paul had brought him into the temple. Since the man was not a Jew, this would be defiling the temple. But Paul hadn't done it. The man in question was not in the temple and had not been brought into the temple by Paul.

This made me think about my own relationships. Have there been times I been angry with someone because I supposed they had acted when I didn't know for a fact? Have churches ever split wide open because people were acting on gossip or supposition with knowing the truth?

Sometimes we're afraid to ask, "Did you say..." or "Did you do..." We can build whole scenarios around false assumptions. But in addition to asking for the truth we also need to ask does it matter. Is this issue important enough to cause a rip in the fabric of my relationships? Most of the time, probably not. Maybe I have a pride issue that is bigger than the "supposed" actions of another.

No comments:

Post a Comment