Monday, January 31, 2011

Paradox

Living the Christian life is a life of paradox. When I looked up the definition I read: a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

When I read a paradox in scripture it is not expressing a "possible" truth but THE truth because it comes from the mouth of God.

"For whoever will save his life would lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Matthew 16:25
"Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:4
"...unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3
"...and he who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 14:11
"...For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10
"...'I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.'" John 11:25-26

Sometimes people get trapped by the paradoxes of following Christ. They just don't understand how these things can be. I have to admit that I don't understand them either but I believe, with all my heart, that they are true so I accept them by faith. One day I will know all I need to know about these things until then I will just believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment