Monday, January 10, 2011

Silence

It has been snowing here in Upstate South Carolina since about 1:00 AM this morning. There's about  6" of snow in the yard and it's still coming down. What was falling softly down earlier is now falling sideways as the wind picks up. We have been told this will change to sleet and/or freezing rain later in the day so I guess this will be with us for a few days. I think the science of weather forecasting has improved a lot because our local meteorologists have been dead on with the Christmas day snow and this one.

I really do not like cold weather - give me hot any day!! But one thing I like about the snow is the silence that it creates because people are home, indoors and not out hurrying here and there. There is a major highway about 200 yards from my back door across the creek and up a wooded hill. I've become used to the sounds of the highway and don't generally notice them. But today I really noticed the lack of highway noise. I like that!

There are no children in my neighborhood and not many of the "I just HAVE to get out and drive in this snow" type people so there is not the usual traffic in front of the house either. Just snow and quiet.

Yesterday at church my Prayer Team Leader was talking about the need for a Sabbath rest. Today is a perfect day for that - a day to read God's word and pray and contemplate His activity in my life, both what He's brought me through and where He's taking me next.

Some people have to go to work no matter what but when home is the option, what better way to spend it than with God. And my cat. And a cup of hot tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment