Thursday, January 20, 2011

Submission to Authority

The word authority was used a great deal around Jesus. He taught with authority. Religious leaders wanted to know who gave Him authority. Pilate claimed authority to execute Jesus. Jesus, of course, had been given all authority. John 10:18 and Matthew 28:18.

Those of us who have confessed "Jesus is Lord" know that we come under His authority. We no longer live our lives for us but for Him. But Jesus was also an example of submission to earthly authorities. Matthew 17:24-28 & Matthew 22:16-22. Paul also admonished every person to be subject to the governing authorities as did Peter.

I do not find Jesus protesting the Romans and the hard life they subjected the Jews to. I never read of Paul fighting against the rule of Rome or asking people to rise up in a rebellion. In fact he said prayers should be made for kings and all who are in high positions. Eventually the authorities of Rome put both these men to death.

I think sometimes about all those Christians who hate those in authority over us now. I admit I do not pray for the governing authorities as often as I should but I try to live peaceably with authority. For me that includes not sending or even reading emails, stories etc that portray our President and other leaders in a demeaning way. Disagreement should be tempered by respect for the person and for the authority the person has.

It also means I don't cheat on my income taxes although I take every legal deduction possible to reduce my exposure to taxes. I pay all local, state and federal taxes in a timely manner. I don't park in handicap parking. I try to drive as near the posted speed limit as possible. I go slow in school zones. I vote in elections. (So glad I don't live in a country where change comes only through violence.)

Mostly, though, I recognize that my government is NOT my salvation. Only Jesus can save me from myself and my destructive way. Only Jesus can change the hearts and lives of those political leaders I disagree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment