Thursday, January 29, 2009

Communion

Tonight I helped prepare for communion at NewSpring this Sunday. Logistically, communion here is not like communion I have experienced before. We ask people to get up and walk to the tables where the bread and juice are rather than passing trays down the rows of seats. Our preparation included moving the tables to the auditorium, covering with tablecloths, cleaning the trays that will hold the little juice cups and preparing the bread.

One of the differences for me is using fresh bread rather than little pre-formed wafers. Several of us spent time tearing the bread into pieces. Actually tearing the bread helped me to think about the brokenness of Jesus.

When we celebrate communion, we are remembering the shed blood and the broken body of Jesus as He was beaten and then crucified to pay the penalty for our sins. The price that was paid was huge! Sometimes my view of the price Jesus paid is not graphic enough. I NEED to remember that his body was literally torn to pieces, just like the bread we were tearing tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment