Monday, January 5, 2009

Tragedy Next Door

When I got home from work tonight, I did a few things inside. Then since it was unseasonably warm for January, I went out to sweep off the back porch. I noticed a smoke smell and thought something's burning. Then I heard my neighbor from across the driveway talking. I looked up to see smoke billowing from the back of the house. We live in townhouses and I actually thought it was the empty house adjoining Martha's that was sending up the smoke.

Then I saw the flames! Martha's kitchen was on fire. She was in the driveway talking to 911 saying hurry, hurry. When I turned again toward the house, the back living room area was in flames. Man it moved fast. The fire trucks began to arrive and they put the fire out but I'm afraid half her house is destroyed. She had lots of antiques and family heirlooms that are all gone. Fortunately, Martha and her dog, Scamper, are both OK.

It doesn't take much to turn your world upside down!

No comments:

Post a Comment