Sunday, January 25, 2009

Friend of God

I've often wondered what it was like for Moses to be able to talk to God face to face, literally. (Exodus 33:11; Numbers 12:6-8). It must have been an awe inspiring experience and to have God commend you as faithful and a friend among all the people. But that doesn't mean Moses was perfect. In fact, God told Moses he could not enter the Promised Land because of his disobedience. (Numbers 20:8,11-12). Compared to all Moses had done and all he had accomplished through God, for God, striking the rock instead of speaking to the rock seems such a small matter. God looks, though, on our heart and our motives. He knew that Moses and Aaron didn't believe Him, that they didn't reverence Him as holy in this situation. Later, Moses told the people "your sins will find you out."

As interesting as it is to think about God meeting with Moses and speaking audible words to him, I have something even better. The Spirit of the Living God lives INSIDE of me, daily guiding and speaking to me. My problem is that I sometimes don't listen. I shut out the voice of God and say that couldn't be God, He wouldn't ask me to do that or go there or speak to that person. Every time I say NO to God, I make it that much harder for me to hear Him the next time. Jesus Christ came to this earth as a man - a human being, then gave His Spirit to indwell all believers, so that we could have "face to face, heart to heart" conversations with God. Too often my conversations are all about me with too much talking and not enough listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment