Thursday, January 8, 2009

God Is in Control

As I was reading about Joseph and all the things that happened to him, I was reminded that God can take any situation and use it for His glory. When Joseph's brothers were so filled with jealousy and hatred toward him that they plotted to kill him, they decided to sell him as a slave instead. As a 17 year old boy taken from Canaan to Egypt, Joseph continued to serve God. God blessed his work and Joseph became the head slave for the captain of the king's guard. When the captain's wife tried repeatedly to seduce Joseph, he fled her advances until one day she falsely accused him of trying to rape her. This landed Joseph in prison but God continued to bless him and he became the assistant to the jailer.

I don't believe Joseph was happy with his situation. He made a point of asking the king's servant to help him get out of prison because he didn't belong there. TWO YEARS later the servant says to the king BTW...there's this guy in prison who can help you. Joseph was 30 years old before he got out of prison. Then he became 2nd in command for the whole country with only the king having more power than Joseph. All the time Joseph was enslaved and imprisoned he worshiped God. When Joseph was finally reunited with his brothers he recognized and gave credit to God for being in control (Genesis45:7-8).

Sometimes, I think God should just make all my days smooth sailing with no problems or conflicts or "issues" but that is RARELY the case. In fact God uses those tough times to refine me, to build my character, to strengthen my faith, to move me where He wants me. Sometimes the bad days come because I keep ignoring what God is saying to me so He has to take away my job or my finances to make me pay attention. Sometimes he allows hardship for a season because He is preparing me for much, much more and perhaps I would not receive "the more" as the blessing of God without the hardship.

I want to be like Joseph, and Paul (Philippians 4:11-13), being confident of God's love, care and provision no matter what my circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment