Sunday, January 25, 2009

What If

One of the things Pastor Perry tells us often as a church is to dream big dreams. This is important in my own life as well. Am I afraid of dreaming big dreams? What if God asks me to move - to leave family and friends? What if He asks me to do something out of my comfort zone? What if I fail?

The "what ifs" of life can be the difference between living a life of adventure and completeness and living a life of mediocrity and sameness. God does not call us to be His children and His followers to sit comfortably in a pew on Sunday and then go about our daily lives without ever risking anything for Him.

I have friends who are missionaries in the Pacific Rim and have served in a country that imprisons and often kills those who are followers of Christ. They sold their business, left their family and friends and moved to a place where they might die for speaking the name of Jesus. I think about them when I shy away from asking my next door neighbor to go to church with me; when I shy away from speaking Jesus into the life of a friend. My friend or neighbor here in the USA will go to hell just as surely as the unbeliever in that godless country halfway around the world. Am I willing to let someone die and spend eternity in hell because of my "what ifs"?

No comments:

Post a Comment