Saturday, January 17, 2009

Only in America

The grandchildren and I went to SouperSalad for lunch today. As we went in I noticed a 10% discount for senior adults. So as the man was ringing up the ticket, I asked for the discount. It was only 67 cents but hey...every little bit helps.

I made the comment that it's great to get old! And the gentleman, who is not native born American, who was ringing up the sale said only if you live in America.

That made me just thank God that He allowed me to be born American. Everything I am, everything I have is a gift from God. I could have been born in the slums or in areas of the world that suffer from starvation or horrendous abuse or constant war. But God allowed me to be born here, where I can live where I want with always more than enough to eat. He has provided me with income that allows me to be warm on a cold night.

Do I take it for granted? Sometimes I do. Do I ever look down on those Americans who are down and out and think of them as lazy or "shiftless". Sometimes I do. Forgive me, Lord, for it is only by Your grace that I am who I am and have what I have. Give me a generous heart, full of love and compassion for people. Help me to see them as You see them. Give me a willingness to share what you have given me; not only in material things but the hope that is found only in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment