Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tough Times

I believe we are in for some extended tough economic times. It's already been months since the housing market began to crumble, the stock market plunged to new lows and banks and brokerage houses failed. The news just last night said unemployment in SC is nearing 10%. I believe it will only get worse before it gets better.

Why are we going through these tough times? In my opinion, it's greed. People buying houses they could not afford. Banks and brokerages making the bottom line look better than it actually was and paying 100s of millions to the leaders of their institutions. For the little guy on the street, the use of credit to buy things like big screen TVs and new cars and lots of stuff that he really doesn't need; spending money he doesn't have.

I feel very fortunate that I still have a job. My hours may be cut back to try to avoid a layoff. We're raising deductibles on health insurance to reduce costs. We're doing what we can but less income for me (and the rest of the staff) may be the only solution. Does this strike fear in me? I can honestly say no. Whatever comes, God will be at my side to see me through. Is there a possibility that it will be difficult? Yes.

When the Israelites went into the Promised Land, the land God had promised to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob hundreds of years before, when they went in they had to fight battles. Some lost their lives. They had to work hard to take possession of it although God had already given it to them. That may be the case for me during these times. Whatever God allows to come my way, He will give me the wisdom, the strength and the courage to face it and to overcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment