Sunday, January 11, 2009

His Story

Genesis 15 tells me before God ever changed Abram's name to Abraham; before Abram ever had a child, God made a covenant with Abram. God told Abram that he would become a great nation. He told him to try to count the stars if he could (this is before light pollution) and that's how many descendants Abram would have. God also told him his offspring would be enslaved for 400 years in a land other than the one God was giving to Abram but that God would deliver them.

Fast forward to Exodus 12. The descendants of Abraham and his son Isaac are leaving Egypt. They have been there for 430 years - and enslaved for 400. When they leave to go back to Canaan, the promised land, there are 600,000 men plus women and children. In addition they go out with silver and gold and clothes...they plunder the land. All God said in Genesis 15 is fulfilled in this deliverance.

Why do I ever doubt that God has a plan for me? To me this story of Abraham's descendants is history but to God it is His story. His story of setting aside a people to be His own. His story of His faithfulness to do what He says. His story of His power and love.

The thing is His story is not finished yet and I am now part of it. The Bible says I was chosen before the foundation of the world to be part of His story. Before I was ever born, His story for my life was formed in His thoughts. This makes me want to shout for joy. Sometimes though I am sad because I have not always wanted to be part of His story. I've wanted to go my own way and do my own thing much to my regret. But God imparts His grace to me through His son, Jesus Christ, so that I may now continue in His story for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment