Thursday, July 2, 2009

Can I Still Blush?

In my reading in Jeremiah this morning, in 6:15 and 8:12 God asks are the people (His people) not ashamed when they do terrible things. He says no, they don't even blush.

God's heart in these passages is broken because those who are supposed to love Him and follow Him and obey Him are doing their own thing and pushing Him away. They do things that are an affront to a holy God and don't even have the ability to blush with shame.

Are there things in my life, thoughts or actions, that are an affront to a holy God; to the one who sacrificed His Son so I could become His daughter? If I do something wrong and am confronted with it by Scripture or by the Holy Spirit do I have the humbleness, the contrite spirit to blush at my wrong doing or do I make excuses? Do I try to hide my sin? Am I willing to be broken before God in real repentance, not just an "oops, sorry!"?

Previously, in Jeremiah 3:22 God tells His children to return and I will heal you of your waywardness, of your backsliding, of your faithlessness. He wants me to be in a right relationship with Him. He pursues me; all I have to do is return.

No comments:

Post a Comment