Thursday, July 2, 2009

God Bless America

That is a pretty trite expression these days. Kinda like having "In God We Trust" on our money. But it is the prayer of my heart - that God would continue to bless America.

Whenever I go out of the country, whether it's a poor country like Kenya, a warring country like Israel, a beautiful island like the Caymans, or a neighbor like Canada, I always return with a grateful heart that God favored me to be born in America and in the time that I am living.

I ofter take for granted the blessing of God for my heritage; to grow up in a country like this. Even with all its flaws (for nothing will be perfect until the New Jerusalem and New Earth), it is a wonderful place.

I came of age in the 60's so I remember all the racial tension of that era; the Vietnam war and all the protests; the bombs and guns on college campuses; the assassinations of the President, his brother, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X; the Black Panthers; the threats from the Russians and the Cubans. Even though those were very difficult times and we were in the throes of a mini civil war, this was and is the best country in the world.

Happy Birthday America!

No comments:

Post a Comment