Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Opposition

Often people talk about following Jesus as being easy...if we follow Jesus we will be rich and healthy and happy and no problems...but as I read the Scriptures, that is just not the picture God shows of those who follow him.

Jeremiah spoke the word of the Lord to Israel and Judah for around 40 years. His message was one of captivity and destruction. Of course God always said if they repent, I will relent. Jeremiah 36:3.

During the time that Jeremiah was faithfully prophesying what God told him, doing what God said, he was imprisoned, ridiculed, thrown into a pit, threatened with death, wore a yoke around his neck, bought a field when the country was about to be captured. God asked Jeremiah to do hard things and Jeremiah did and things did not necessarily go well for him. But God always was there with him, watching over him. Jeremiah 15:19-21.

That's not to say God doesn't bless His followers. He does. The Spirit of God fills us with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Galatians 5:22-23. But when we are living on the edge for Jesus, working hard to make Hell less crowded, opposition will come.

When I have NO opposition - and there are times like that in my life - when everything seems to be going great, am I just being allowed a breather or am I getting really slack in my walk and my obedience to doing the things God asks of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment