Wednesday, July 1, 2009

But What Will You Do in the End?

I've started reading Jeremiah which always make me think of the condition of America. In a lot of ways it is very similar to Israel & Judah in those days. God talks about faithless Israel and treacherous Judah. Wonder if He thinks that about America. He has given us so much in freedom and strength and stuff and we push Him away and say leave us alone.

Something I read this morning that really rocked me is Jeremiah 5:30-31. "A horrible and shocking thing has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy lies, the priests rule by their own authority, and the people love it this way. But what will you do in the end?"

In America, I'm not sure we find it shocking any more that our prophets (preachers) prophesy lies. Whole denominations argue over the right to ordain practicing homosexuals or agree to perform marriage ceremonies for gay couples. TV evangelists tell people "Send me your money and God will bless you!" Then the preachers build lavish homes and buy expensive cars and boats and vacations.

And I do believe MANY people like it that way. People want to be told whatever makes them feel good about themselves or want the "rightness" of their sins validated. But God asks an intriguing question...what will you do in the end?

In the end of this life, judgment is given. Those who do not know Jesus Christ will be forever separated from God by the second death. In the end, every knee will bow and proclaim that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father. In the end, there is no time to change your mind or repent.

Am I willing to speak boldly to those who are perishing? Am I willing to be uncomfortable to help someone meet Jesus? Am I willing to take chances on losing a friend by telling him (nicely) that what he is doing is wrong - especially if that someone is a believer. Am I willing to listen to correction when it comes to me, and then do something about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment