Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Joy??? of Home Ownership

Two and a half years ago I decided I wanted to buy a house - actually a townhouse or condo. I had lived in apartments for 25 years and liked where I lived. Well, I didn't like the neighborhood but I liked living downtown, on the 9th floor, with a porch overlooking the city (great for the annual fireworks at Red, White & Boom). Only problem was there was no place for the grandchildren to play.

The apartment was just over 600 sq ft so it was very small with no room to play inside or outside . I decided it would be nice to have a bigger place where the children could play and ride bikes and take walks and all that sort of thing. So I called a realtor friend and started looking.

When I found the townhouse I eventually bought, I thought it was a really good buy and a really good idea. I liked the size, the location, the yard, the price - all of that. But two and a half years later I wish I was still renting. Oh, the kids love it. Nate particularly likes to be here. He cuts my grass to earn money. There is room to spread out so he and his little sister aren't all over each other all the time. There is a concrete drive where Nate can practice skate boarding. The library is only a couple of blocks away and Bella likes to walk there on Saturday mornings.

I have found I don't really have the time, the desire or the money to maintain a house. When Nate is away I have to cut the grass myself. I have bought rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows and ladders - things I've never had to spend money on. I need to replace my dishwasher. The furnace and AC need to be inspected/cleaned/tuned up (whatever you do to them) and I think I need a new thermostat. I need to paint the railings on the porches. Just so much to keep up with that I have never had to do. I guess I didn't really think about all that at the time. While I'm still working, I don't want to spend my time off doing upkeep. Now that I am "old" and contemplating retirement, I don't want to put my money into house repairs.

Maybe the economy will revive and I will decide to sell in a few years but until then I have to do what I have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment