Saturday, July 25, 2009

Jesus Was Testing Him

Most people know the story of Jesus feeding the 5000 men plus women and children - the miracle of Jesus blessing the the 5 loaves of bread and 2 pieces of fish and not only feeding everyone but taking up 12 baskets of left over bread. Very familiar story.

But as I was reading this I read something I don't think I had ever noticed before. In John 6:5-6, Jesus looks at the crowds that are gathered around him and then turns to Phillip and asks,"Where can we buy bread to feed all these people?" Verse 6 is what got to me: He (Jesus) was testing Phillip for He already knew what He was going to do.

Testing him...testing me. When God lays something on my heart that seems absolutely impossible, God could very well be testing me to see if I really believe that He has the ability to bring it off. I think He tests my attitudes, my faith, my logic, my fear.

Do I trust Him completely to bring it about? Do I trust Him to speak to me through His word and people in the Church and prayer to know what my part in His plan is to be? Or do I shrink back in fear believing it to be impossible? Or maybe even the opposite - begin making BIG plans, my plans, without any further consultation with God?

A few verses along in John 6:28-29, which was a day later, as Jesus is talking to the people they say, "We want to perform God's works, too. What should we do?" Jesus told them, "This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one He has sent."

No comments:

Post a Comment