Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Decisions

Richard returned my call last night. Sorry I didn't get to talk to him. We haven't talked in a couple of years. His mom is in the hospital with a broken hip and apparently is having some mental issues as well (Alzheimer's maybe?) Richard's dad died in 2003 and that hit him pretty hard; he's never quite gotten over it I don't think.

Now he and his sister are trying to decide what to do about mom. It's a tough decision to put a parent in a nursing home but sometimes that is the only option. Richard and Debbie both work full time and Debbie lives in Charlotte. Although Richard is a doctor, I don't think he would make a good nurse; doesn't have a very high regard for nurses. I don't think either of them will try to take care of their mother at home.

Richard might want to pay for sitters so his mom could stay in her house but she has steps everywhere (tri-level) and falling is how she broke her hip. Doesn't seem a practical solution to me but then my opinion was not sought. I'm not sure just how much Richard or Debbie rely on God's leading or God's wisdom but I will pray for it none the less.

When Mama was in the nursing home, it was really good for her and for my brother (who was chronically ill himself) and me. It is still hard because Mama often felt abandoned even though I went to see her and eat supper with her 5 nights out of 7 and had lunch with her on Sunday. She got great care and physical therapy after her stroke but she got to the point of not letting the assistants help her to the bathroom or much of anything else. She would tell them Nancy will be here, she'll do it.

I considered it a great privilege to be able to take care of my mom because she never quit praying for me when I was living so far from God. She loved me when I was not very lovable and never gave up on me. We never had a great relationship but those last 6 months drew us close together. I wouldn't take anything for the time we spent together during those last months of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment